The Foundation Sūtra Study Course is based in Bristol and intended for those Yoga students who, having completed a cYs Introductory Sūtra Study Course, wish to explore further the primary principles and teachings from the Yoga Sūtra and how they inspire and guide Yoga practice and study.
“For Yoga Teachers it is important to understand the movement of the mind as well as the body.”
- TKV Desikachar December 1st 1979
Each weekend offers a in-depth overview of each of the four chapters of the Yoga Sūtra. It is an opportunity for a Yoga student from any Yoga background or style to experience an in-depth introduction to each of the four chapters of the Yoga Sūtra of Patāñjali. A Sūtra study workbook with a verse by verse translation and word by word index for all the verses in each chapter is included as part of the Course Manual for all participating students.
Jan 18 2014
Foundational Module Two Sūtra Study Course - Programme no 2 - Places Available
Four weekends each offering an in-depth view of the four chapters of the Yoga Sūtra From January 18/19th 2014 to October 11/12th 2014
Jan 31 2015
Foundational Module Two Sūtra Study Course - Programme no 3 - Places Available
Four weekends each offering an in-depth view of the four chapters of the Yoga Sūtra From January 31st/February 1st 2015 to October 10/11th 2015
To present a view from the Yoga Sūtra through which students can develop their own practice and appreciation of Yoga. The role of this Course is not to train students as Yoga teachers.
The Foundation Yoga Sūtra Workshops reflect the teachings of TKV Desikachar and his father and teacher T Krishnamacharya as taught to Paul Harvey over 25 years through:
- Guidance in emphasising a personal reflective study to support your life.
- Understanding the principles that inspire and shape Yoga philosophy.
- An overview of primary Yoga Sūtra concepts around body and mind.
- Familiarisation with basic Yoga Sūtra terms and practice techniques.
- Appreciating how chanting the Yoga Sūtra can aid their absorption and help deepen our understanding.
- Deepening the reflective aspects of our personal practice with the Yoga Sūtra.
Even though the Yoga Sūtra teachings and techniques developed in the Foundation Course can enhance any Yoga Teachers professional skills there is no requirement to teach or to intend to teach Yoga. This is not the role of the course.
In fact not everybody wants to or actually needs to become a Yoga teacher to further their practice and study. Here the priorities are towards personal development and thus questions relating to our personal practice and study are the priorities. The Foundation Course reflects this viewpoint.
The aim is that we are all here in this course as students and it offers an opportunity for all teachers to step back from their teaching role and re-enhance their personal study and practice path.
The Foundation Sūtra Study Course Duration
A total of of over 60 contact and home study hours comprising:
- 42 group contact hours plus suggestions for 20 hours guided home study and practice
Through four two day weekends over six months each comprising:
- 10.5 hours in each weekend workshop
- 5 hours (approx) home study and practice suggestions from each weekend.
The Foundation Sūtra Study Course topics total over 40 hours through:
Yoga Practice – 9.0 hours
- Practical learning skills from the Yoga Sūtra to refine your practice.
- Linking the Yoga Sūtra to help develop and deepen your practice.
Yoga Sūtra - 28.0 hours
- Exploring some key concepts that surround this teaching on Yoga.
- How the four chapters can link to personal practice goals.
- In depth overview of the structure of each chapter.
- What are the key Sūtra in each chapter.
- In depth exploration of the key Sūtra in each chapter
- Linking each chapter to the meditative path in Yoga.
- Which concepts from each chapter are most relevant to us.
- How to prioritize short term and long term goals in Yoga.
- Learning to read the Sūtra signposts for our personal journey.
- Why the view is the foundation for practice and life.
- Learning to look from the Yoga Sūtra at our relationship with others.
- Linking the Sūtra to the ebb and flow of daily life.
Saṃskṛta – As part of Learning to use the Yoga Sūtra – 2.0 hours
- Introduction to the value of reciting the Yoga Sūtra
Course Review and Home Study Guidance – 3.0 hours
- Informal guidelines of a practical nature through review, reading, questions for reflection and personal practice.
The Foundation Sūtra Study Course Weekend Schedule
- 9.30 – Onwards for refreshments
- 10.00 – Yoga Sūtra Study
- 11.30 – Break
- 11.00 – Yoga Sūtra Study
- 12.30 – Yoga Practice
- 1.15 – Lunch
- 2.15 – Yoga Sūtra Study
- 3.15 – Break
- 3.45 – Yoga Sūtra Study
- 4.45 – Yoga Practice
- 5.30 – Departures
- 9.00 – Onwards for refreshments
- 9.30 – Yoga Sūtra Study
- 10.30 – Break
- 11.00 – Yoga Sūtra Study
- 12.00 – Yoga Practice
- 12.30 – Lunch
- 1.30 – Yoga Sūtra Study
- 2.15 – Break
- 2.30 – Yoga Sūtra Study
- 3.15 – Yoga Practice
- 4.00 – Departures
Prospective students will have successfully completed an Introductory Yoga Sūtra Study Course.
Nov 30 2013
Foundational Module One Sūtra Study Course - Programme no 6 - Places Available
An in-depth overview of the the four chapters of the Yoga Sūtra Two Day Workshop November 30th/December 1st 2013
Jun 14 2014
Foundational Module One Sūtra Study Course - Programme no 7
An in-depth overview of the the four chapters of the Yoga Sūtra Two Day Workshop June 14/15th 2014
Nov 08 2014
Foundational Module One Sūtra Study Course - Programme no 8
An in-depth overview of the the four chapters of the Yoga Sūtra Two Day Workshop November 8/9th 2014
May 01 2015
Foundational Module One Sūtra Study Course - Programme no 9
An in-depth overview of the the four chapters of the Yoga Sūtra Two Day Workshop May 1/2nd 2015
Nov 14 2015
Foundational Module One Sūtra Study Course - Programme no 10
An in-depth overview of the the four chapters of the Yoga Sūtra Two Day Workshop November 14/15th 2015
January 2014 to October 2014 Foundation Yoga Sūtra Study Course Weekend Dates:
- January 18/19th 2014
- April 12/13th 2014
- July 12/13th 2014
- October 11/12th 2014
January 2015 to October 2015 Foundation Yoga Sūtra Study Course Weekend Dates:
- January 31st/February 1st 2015
- April 25/26th 2015
- July 18/19th 2015
- October 10/11th 2015
Support and advice will be offered on the students’ progress and on possibilities for further development after the course. There is also the possibility of written work being requested to help the transmission.
The Foundation Sūtra Study Course Certificate is awarded to successful students with full workshop attendence. Please note that any missed weekends can be made up on a future course free of any further fees. It can also count for 10-20 BWY CPD points for BWY Teachers over 1-2 years.
Fees & Booking
The 2014 workshops are £150 per weekend.
The 2015 workshops are £155 per weekend.
A Registration fee of £100 is required. This will not be refundable but will be offset against the final weekend’s fee. All the Yoga Sūtra workshops must be paid for even if the student is unable to attend. Missed weekends can be taken on future courses free of charge. The weekend fees are payable at each Yoga Sūtra weekend and the cost includes a further 250 page colour manual, tuition, a delicious vegetarian lunch each day and all refreshments.
All Foundation Yoga Sūtra Workshops deposits to be made payable to Paul Harvey and sent to Yoganjali, Princes Place, Bristol BS7 8NP. Confirmation will be sent. All deposits are non-returnable. In the case of Yoga courses not running an acceptable alternative or a full refund will be offered.
Please note that any student completing an Introductory and Foundation Series in one area will qualify for a 10% discount on the total cost of any other Introductory/Foundation Course in the Series. The discount will be applied against the course deposit on completion of the 5 weekends.
Venue & Directions
Click here for a range of options near to the Centre or around Bristol.