The Art of the Application of Yoga Core Workshop
– Āsana, Prāṇāyāma, Mantra and Sūtra Practice & Study
A core workshop on Āsana, Prāṇāyāma, Mantra and Sūtra Practice and Study is offered as a starting point for students wishing to explore the Application of Yoga but finding the range of Yoga practice and study options in the cYs Programme offering too many initial choices. This Two Day Workshop draws together a number of the core practice and study strands that this approach specialises in into one composite workshop. From this hands-on experience developmental choices will become clearer.
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Studies Workshop is limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. It introduces the student, through a 2 day workshop, to the primary principles and teachings from T Krishnamacharya and TKV Desikachar on the art of application of Yoga.
“Our Yoga practice needs to be a conscious deepening of what we can do.
Rather than becoming an unconscious re-enforcing of what we can’t do.”
Based in the Cotswolds, it is presented with the aim of reflecting the fundamentals of Śrī T Krishnamacharya’s teaching, namely, transmission occurs through the direct experience of the teacher with the students personal practice and study Sādhana.
Open to all except complete beginners, it is an opportunity for a Yoga Student, Yoga Teacher or Trainee Yoga Teacher from any Yoga background or style to develop and deepen their personal Yoga practice and study through an appreciation of the core teachings that underpin the application of Yoga.
It offers an in-depth introduction to the Application of Yoga, through an experiential appreciation of the core teachings that underpin the art of Yoga Practice and Study, either for personal development or, if relevant, to enhance professional skills. Though complete in itself it is also a introduction and guide for the student to further work in the Arts of Yoga Practice and Yoga Study Programme Modules.
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Practice & Study Workshop Framework
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Practice & Study Workshop reflects the teachings of TKV Desikachar and his father and teacher T Krishnamacharya as taught to Paul Harvey over 25 years through:
- Guidance in emphasising a personal Yoga practice to support your everyday
- Understanding the principles known as the Application of Yoga which inspire and shape Yoga practice.
- An overview of and background to the important teachings around body and mind.
- Familiarisation with basic Yoga teachings and practice techniques.
- Appreciating how your body can work effectively in Āsana as a preparation for Yoga.
- Deepening our work with the Breath as a Concentrational Yoga practice.
- Exploring the relevance and place of Chanting as a Meditational Yoga practice.
To present a view of the Application of Yoga to help develop our practice and deepen our relationship with Yoga Practice & Study. They are offered with respect for the vital source from which these Yoga teachings originated and their place in our age and culture. Its role is not to train students as Yoga teachers.
“Yoga Practice is an essential part of Yoga Study.
Rather than Yoga Study being an essential part of Yoga Practice.”
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Workshop topics total around 10 hours through:
1. Body Postures or Āsana – 2.5 hours
– Yoga as a Physiological Practice
- What is the role of Āsana?
- How to identify Primary, Primary Support, Secondary Support and Link Āsana.
- Setting Short term and Long term priorities for Āsana practice.
- When to use Link Āsana within an Āsana practice.
- Why and How we use the Breath in Āsana.
- What we Modify or Vary in Āsana within our practice.
- Learning to look into our Body with greater awareness.
2. Seated Breathing or Prāṇāyāma – 1.5 hours
– Yoga as an Energetic Practice
- What is the role of Prāṇāyāma?
- How to identify Primary, Secondary and Support Prāṇāyāma techniques.
- Learning Primary Prāṇāyāma Seated Āsana and Practice techniques.
- Setting Short term and Long term priorities for Prāṇāyāma practice.
3. Chanting Sacred Sounds or Mantra – 1 hour
– Yoga as a Devotional Practice
- What is the role of Chanting?
- Learning Core Chanting techniques and Vocal skills to help refine your personal practice.
- Setting priorities for Preliminary voice work and sound techniques in personal practice.
- Setting Short term and Long term priorities for a Chanting practice.
4. Personal Sādhana or Āsana, Prāṇāyāma & Mantra – 2.5 hours
– Yoga as a Physiological-Energetic-Devotional Practice
- Learning to integrate Yoga postures, seated breathing and meditational chanting techniques, as awareness skills to help refine and offer direction to your short term and long term practice.
5. Textual Study or Yoga Sūtra – 2 hours
– Yoga as a Spiritual Inquiry
- Defining what is Yoga.
- Outlining its link to the Yoga Sūtra and the purpose of Sūtra.
- Appreciating the core concepts that underpin this key Yoga teaching.
- Exploring the basic structures and purpose to the four chapters.
- Exploring some key Sūtra in the first and second Chapters.
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Practice & Study Workshop Prerequisites
A minimum of one year’s attendance at a Yoga group class of any Yoga approach or teacher.
- The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Āsana Prāṇāyāma Mantra and Sūtra Workshop 3October 20, 2018
An in-depth Introduction to the Application of Yoga – Core Overview
Two Day Workshop October 20th/21st 2018 – Four Places Available
- The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Āsana Prāṇāyāma Mantra and Sūtra Workshop 4July 27, 2019
An in-depth Introduction to the Application of Yoga – Core Overview
Two Day Workshop July 27/28th 2019 – Five Places Available
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Practice & Study Workshop Duration
A total of over 10 hours over two days plus suggestions for guided home study and practice directions.
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Practice & Study Workshop Feedback
Support and advice will be offered on the students’ progress and on the possibilities for further development after the workshop.
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Practice & Study Workshop Certification
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Practice & Study Workshop Certificate of Completion is awarded to successful students with 100% attendance. This Certificate is awarded in recognition of the commitment in studying the Application of Yoga Practice Techniques and Practice Theory respecting the spirit of TKV Desikachar’s teaching.
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Practice & Study Workshop Timings, Fees and Booking
The Art of the Application of Yoga Workshops are limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. It is for all Yoga students except complete Yoga beginners, or any Yoga teacher, or Yoga trainee teacher.
The days are on Saturday from 10.30-6.45 and Sunday from 9.00-2.00.
The 2018 Workshop fee will be £210 for the two days.
The 2019 Workshop fee will be £220 for the two days.
The 2020 Workshop fee will be £230 for the two days.
The full fee is payable at the time of booking and includes a pre-prepared colour printed manual, tuition, vegetarian lunches each day, all refreshments plus supper on the evening of the first day. Accomodation is not included in the teaching and catering fee.
The full Workshop fee is required. It can be paid by Postal cheque or Bank draft. Please contact Paul to indicate your preference. Confirmation of your payment and place will be sent. All Fees are non-returnable and non-transferable. In the case of Workshops not running an acceptable alternative or a full refund will be offered.
The Art of the Application of Yoga – Core Practice & Study Workshop Venue & Accommodation
All the weekends are based in the Cotswolds with a country setting and retreat atmosphere.
Do note that the fees will include lunch and, if staying overnight, evening supper to help with costs. Thus, if staying overnight locally there is no need to incur any further costs, apart from accommodation, until you leave.