Exploring Chapter Three of the Yoga Sūtra of Patañjali
This Art of Sūtra Psychology Modular Course is limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student. It is offered as a 4 day course module, comprising two 2 day meetings over 3-4 months.
Based in the Cotswolds, it offers an in-depth study of Chapter Three of the Yoga Sūtra. It is presented with the aim of reflecting the fundamentals of Śrī T Krishnamacharya’s teaching, namely, transmission occurs through the direct experience of the teacher with the students personal practice and study Sādhana.
It is an opportunity for a Yoga student from any Yoga background or style to experience an in-depth exploration of Chapter Three of the Yoga Sūtra of Patāñjali over a 4 day module.
A Sūtra study workbook with a verse by verse translation and word by word index for all the verses in chapter three is included as part of the Course Manual for all participating students.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Four Framework
The Art of Sūtra Psychology Modular Course reflects the teachings of TKV Desikachar and his father and teacher T Krishnamacharya as taught to Paul Harvey over 25 years through:
- Guidance in emphasising a personal reflective study to support your life.
- Understanding the principles that inspire and shape Yoga philosophy.
- Exploration of the primary Yoga Sūtra concepts around body and mind.
- Familiarisation with basic Yoga Sūtra terms and practice techniques.
- Appreciating how chanting the Yoga Sūtra can aid their absorption and help deepen our understanding.
- Deepening the reflective aspects of our personal practice with the Yoga Sūtra.
To present a view of the Yoga Sūtra through which students can support and develop their own practice and deepen their appreciation of the possibilities for the Yoga Sūtra in their lives. These teachings are offered with respect for the vital source from which these Yoga teachings originated and their place in our age and culture.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Four Professional
Even though the Yoga Sūtra teachings and techniques developed in the Art of Sūtra Psychology Modular Courses can enhance any Yoga Teachers professional skills in the fields of Yoga Psychology and Yoga Therapeutic Healthcare, there is no requirement to teach or to intend to teach Yoga. This is not the role of the course.
In fact not everybody wants to or actually needs to become a Yoga teacher to further their practice and study. Here the priorities are towards personal development and thus questions relating to our personal practice and study are the priorities. These Courses reflect this viewpoint.
“For Yoga Teachers it is important to understand
the movement of the mind as well as the body.”
– TKV Desikachar
The aim is that we are all here in this course as students and it offers an opportunity for all teachers to step back from their teaching role and re-enhance their personal study and practice path.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Four totals over 20 hours through a 4 day Module:
1. Yoga Sūtra – 20.0 hours
- Exploring the key concepts that inform Chapter Three.
- How this chapter can link to personal practice goals.
- In depth overview of the structure of chapter Three.
- What are the key Sūtra in this chapter.
- In depth overview of the Sūtra in this chapter.
- Linking this chapter to the meditative path in Yoga.
- Which concepts from this chapter are most relevant to us.
- How to prioritize short term and long term goals in Yoga.
- Learning to read the Sūtra signposts for our personal journey.
- Why the view is the foundation for practice and life.
- Learning to look from the Yoga Sūtra at our relationship with others.
- Linking the Sūtra to the ebb and flow of daily life.
- Practical learning skills from the Yoga Sūtra to refine your practice.
- Linking the Yoga Sūtra to help develop and deepen your practice.
- Introduction to the value of reciting the Yoga Sūtra
2. Review Sessions and Home Study Guidelines – 0.5 hours
- Informal support of a practical nature through review, reading, questions for reflection and guidelines for core and developmental personal study processes
- Home study of a practical nature through reading, questions and exploration through textual study
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Four Prerequisites
Prospective students will have successfully completed a Sūtra Psychology Module One Workshop and Modules Two and Three Courses around Chapters One and Two, or an acceptable study equivalent.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Four Group Size and Dates
The group size for the Art of Sūtra Psychology Module Four Course is limited to a maximum of five students to allow for a personalised approach and in-depth transmission between teacher and student.
There will be 2 two day meetings spaced over three to four months. This is also a specialised learning intensive, so rather than fixing diary dates in advance each Course will be arranged once I have received around five applications from interested students.
If you are interested then please do feel free to contact me. From there I can advise you on the current state of the waiting list, advise you on when the next Course can be anticipated and talk over any questions you may have.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Four Feedback
Support and advice will be offered on the students’ progress and on possibilities for further development after the course. There is also the possibility of written work being requested to help the transmission.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Four Certification
The Art of Sūtra Psychology Modular Courses Certificate is awarded to successful students with full workshop attendence. Please note that any missed weekends can be made up on a future course free of any further fees. They can also count for CPD points for Yoga Teachers over 1-2 years.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Four Fees and Booking
The days are on Saturday from 10.30-6.45 and Sunday from 9.00-2.00.
The 2017 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £440 for the 4 day module.
The 2018 Course fee is based on a maximum of five students and will be £460 for the 4 day module.
For 2017 a deposit of £220 is required and the balance of £220 payable at the first meeting.
For 2018 a deposit of £230 is required and the balance of £230 payable at the first meeting.
The deposit will not be refundable but will be offset against the total fee. All the Personal Sādhana Modular Course Fees must be paid for even if the student is unable to attend.
The fees are payable at each meeting and the cost includes a full Course manual, tuition, vegetarian lunch each day, all refreshments plus supper on the overnight evening.
All the Art of Personal Sādhana Modular Course deposits can be paid by Postal cheque or Bank draft. Please contact Paul to indicate your preference. Confirmation of your payment and place will be sent. All Fees are non-returnable and non-transferable. In the case of Courses not running an acceptable alternative or a full refund will be offered.
The Art of Sūtra Psychology – Module Four Venue and Accommodation Options
All the weekends are based in the Cotswolds with a country setting and retreat atmosphere.
Do note that the fees will include lunch and, if staying overnight, evening supper to help with costs. Thus, if staying there is no need to incur any further costs until you leave.