The viniyoga of Āyurveda – Lifestyle Skills & Yoga Teachings
The study and practice of Yoga has, for many centuries, been linked to the study of complementary arts from Indian culture such as Mantra, Textual Chanting, Karnāṭaka music or Āyurveda lifestyle skills.
For example, traditionally Āyurveda and Yoga went hand in hand and the importance of understanding the principles of Āyurveda is obvious when exploring Yoga texts such as the Haṭha Yoga Pradīpikā.
The modern and one of the most important Yoga teachers from the last century T Krishnamacharya, understood the relevance and role of these complementary arts. Thus his study and teaching work was characterised by the application of arts such as Āyurveda to support the development of the student’s potentials within their material life and spiritual journey.
So for students of Yoga, an understanding of Āyurveda will complement and help their Yoga study and practice. This particular workshop will focus on the application or viniyoga of Āyurveda lifestyle skills to Yoga teachings. Refining our understanding of this relationship is essential:
- When working with the application of Yoga in sustaining a high energy potential (Śikṣaṇa) for study and practice
- When working with the application of Yoga as a support (Rakṣaṇa) in helping to maintain an active lifestyle
- When working with the application of Yoga therapeutically (Cikitsa) with imbalances that cause or aggravate the disease process
It will be useful for all Yoga teachers and students interested in refining Yoga practice through developing Āyurveda lifestyle skills.
Each session will help us develop how we can:
- Appreciate the role of Nādī Parīkṣa or the study of pulse in Yoga
- Link Doṣa or constitution to Yoga practice and daily lifestyle
- Learn about Āhāra (food) and its relevance to daily lifestyle
- Assess appropriate and inappropriate Vihāra (lifestyle) practices
- Refine the ability of Āyurveda to link directly to Yoga practices